2.05.2009

Where to recept?

Admittedly, the most important thing to me about my wedding reception site was affordability. I can't afford high rental sites, and I DEFINITELY can't afford to have the wedding catered. Seriously, the mark ups for catering are so bad my head wants to spin. Alcohol mark-ups (another must for my wedding) are even worse. I'm sure I could find a beautiful place outside to have it, but my wedding date ---- September 12 ---- is the prime season for this:


Having lived through several destructive hurricanes, I can handle this possibility. I CANNOT, however, justify having a tent wedding with no indoor option. Plus with rentals and everything, it can be just as expensive as renting a facility. Did I mention that it was September 12th? That's still about 85 degrees in Mississippi, and we're gonna have some old people. Outdoor wedding/ reception is a no-go.

So, I looked.

And looked...


And LOOKED!


And I came up with a grand list. Which was narrowed down to the following several sites:

1) The Westbrooke House at Mynelle Gardens
Aside from having a reception at the church, this is a steal at $800 for 4 hours. The house is big enough for a standing reception of at least 200. The gardens won't be much by the dog days of September, but the house is beautiful, recently redone, and AC'ed) It also has a kitchen, and you can bring in whatever caterer you like (or not have one, like me!).

2) The Grand Old Post Office in Canton
The downside: Far away from Galloway (30 mins?). It doesn't hold more than 200 folks standing. Not the prettiest place, but cheap! They have most of the rentals you would need. Unfortunately the indoors is not pretty, but certainly not ugly. Any licensed caterer is welcome. Here's the website:
http://www.grandoldpostoffice.com/index.htm

3) The Ag Museum
Not one I checked out much because they will be having Celtic fest on my wedding weekend (an activity possibility?), but many different options for renting. People usually use the forestry auditorium. It is nice and easily decorated, plus close to galloway with ample parking.
http://www.mdac.state.ms.us/n_library/departments/ag_museum/agm_rental.html

4) Natchez Trace Craft Center
Absolutely GORGEOUS, huge location. Many of my friends have had their receptions here and loved it. Relatively expensive on my budget although it's not extreme for the average budget, and you have to use a caterer from their list (which puts it WELL out of our budget).
http://mscrafts.org/index.php/facility-rental/

5) MS Museum of Art
This is a newer building but I think a lot of my contemporaries have had their receptions here. It's pretty inside, and you have to use their caterer. And it's too pricey for my budget, although still reasonable ($1300 base rental fee). http://www.msmuseumart.org/events-facility-rental.html

6) Cedars Historic Home
I was surprised by how expensive it was to reserve this house, regardless of how pretty it is. I can't remember the price, but you could call them and ask.
Here's a wedding that was held there:
http://adamhudson.blogspot.com/2008/11/this-was-actually-rare-wedding-for-me.html

7) Fairview Inn
Home to Sophia's Restaurant, This beautiful mansion has several rooms that can be rented out. For real, it's pure class, and I would totally have my reception here if I could afford it. (Noticing a pattern here?). Seriously, though- an $8000 minimum for a summer wedding? My entire wedding budget?! But, here it is: http://www.fairviewinn.com/jackson-mississippi-wedding-facility.htm .... I mean, if you got it, flaunt it. They treat you right here.

8)Capital Club
I'm anti- because everyone does there reception here (EVERYONE). No offense, 7,000 friends of mine who have had receptions there. And their food is mediocre half the time, and their L-shaped party room is awkward for large crowds of dancing. And, regardless of the fact that it does reside in Mississippi's capital, I hate that it could also be interpreted as the "Money" Club. "Oh, where are you having your reception? The Money Club? Sounds classy!" Also, all of the receptions I've seen here have looked really similar, so I don't think this venue is particularly flexible as far as decorations. http://www.capitalclubms.com/reservations.html

9) Millsaps/Belhaven
I think you would have to know an alumni, but there are places you can do a reception. I haven't been to any wedding receptions here, but I'm sure there are places to do it.

10) Law Firms/Businesses
My future cousin-in-law Georgia Anne is having her July reception at the groom's father's law firm in several of the big conference rooms. Seems like this could be a reasonably inexpensive way to go.

11) Club Houses
Various neighborhoods like Northbay in Madison and Northpointe in Jackson (the big red barn) have houses that are rentable. Usually you have to know someone in the neighborhood to vouch for you. This seemed like another entirely reasonable option.

10) The Bulldog
A really great place for an afterparty. You get their huge party room for $500, which is put towards food and kegs.

11) Hotels/Country Clubs
Don't neglect really pretty places like The Edison Walthall... But, pretty much any hotel will do a wedding, and if you can afford it, country clubs are always an appropriate standby.

12) Church
Some churches have better rooms than others, and these are almost always the most economical choice. The fellowship hall at Galloway is a grey, windowless room with old stained carpeting. No matter how desperate I was, this wasn't an option.

No comments:

Post a Comment