2.07.2009

The Dress

I was never the kind of girl who fantasized about my wedding dress.  Maybe it's because at an early age, I realized how terrible I looked in white.  Jewelry, music, flowers, sure.  I thought about kitchens a lot, and gardens.  But not wedding dresses.

I really like Carolina Herrera, super a lot.  And I like Oscar, of course.

I could eat this dress with a spoon:




{CH via brides.com}


But I can't fathom paying top dollar for a dress my children will be too tall to wear (HELLO 11 inch height difference with my fiance!).

The first place I went was actually a consignment store in Kirkland, WA, called Champagne Taste.  And there I found a wedding dress that fit like a glove.  It was $300.  The catch- it was David's Bridal.  Now they have some truly lovely dresses, but I knew that I wanted a dress no one else would ever have.

Fast forward a few months.  I realize that we still have my dear mother's wedding dress, which was never really used (she and my dad eloped).  It was a little 70's-tastic.   Okay, it was a LOT 70's-tastic. (I don't feel weird about posting this since the dress will be so different after alterations).



My grandmother had kept it at her house, in a wardrobe, IN A BEDSHEET.

Seriously, folks, no $300 preservation, no nothin'.  A bedsheet.  For 25 years.

Wanna take a guess at where she got it? 25 years ago?




.... The Goodwill.  If that isn't budget friendly, I don't know what is.

And it's beautiful.  The fabric is strong, embroidered organza in a beautiful candlelight ivory (NOT WHITE!  HOORAY!), and there are the dearest cotton lace flowers on the belt, neckline and arms.

I will have my dressmaker, the great and esteemed Sandra Ashford, redo this dress.   She's the go-to woman in Mississippi for redoing dresses, but she's also about to be family- she's my future mother-in-law's cousin. She's going to make it into the typical strapless silhouette, and put all the lace around the bustline.  I can't wait to see how it turns out.  I have my first fitting when I go home in May!

She will also be making my veil and even a garter.  Ladies, if you have an heirloom dress, you simply have to call Sandra!

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty certain her email is sandraashford@aol.com. She is also on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete